18 Jan 2021
Carbon monoxide (also known as CO) is a colourless, odourless, poisonous gas. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause illness, loss of consciousness and even death.
A good alarm should have the following qualities:
-It should be audible. A visual indicator is no use if you're asleep.
-It should carry the CE mark and comply with the European Standard EN 50291.
-It Should have an ‘end-of-life’ indicator to tell you when it needs to be replaced.
-It Should carry a mark of independent certification such as a Kitemark. It is recommended that you do not purchase an alarm that does not have this.
Test alarms regularly by pushing the 'test' button on your device at least once a week. Replace an alarm if it displays an error or does not function when tested.
Carbon monoxide alarms have a limited lifetime, and the manufacturer will specify when it should be replaced. It is recommended that you buy alarms that incorporate an end-of-life indicator.
Replace an alarm that has reached the end of its life. Never hold on to a carbon monoxide alarm after its useful date has expired.
Signs Of Carbon Monoxide in your Home
-Staining, sooting or discoloring around an appliance
-Condensation on your windows and/or walls when an appliance is on
-A strange smell when an appliance is on (remember: carbon monoxide itself has no smell but other fumes produced by burning may smell.)
-A yellow or orange flame on a gas appliance that is normally blue.
For more information on Carbon Monoxide check out www.carbonmonoxide.ie and for information on how to install your alarms see the video below